All:

A couple of members of the Caloosa Bird Club passed on to me this
observation of feeding Boat-tailed Grackles at Ft. Myers Beach, where
BTW,  the Long-billed Curlew remains as of Sunday, December 9th):

"We (Jane Murt & JoAnn Kelley) spotted Boat-tailed Grackles on Sunday
Dec. 9 on Ft Myers Beach. They were opening and eating coquinas in
the sand and near the water and acting like shore birds. There were
15 to 20 of them. It was low tide and I had not seen grackles looking
for food on the beach like this before. Is there an explanation for
this behavior?"

Personally, I have not witnessed this type of feeding behavior in
Boat-tailed Grackles myself. I'm wondering how common it is? Have any
of you seen this behavior? Here's what Stevenson & Anderson have to
say about it in __The Birdlife Of Florida__ on page 675:

"Most foraging is done on the ground, as the grackle walks, often
holding its long, keeled tail high. Frequently it wades into shallow
water or forages on floating vegetation. The species eats Apple
Snails, Ampularia sp. fresh-water mussels, insects, spiders, small
fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds (G.T. Bancroft in litt.), bird
eggs, carrion, and human garbage. Weed seeds and waste grain comprise
most of its vegetative diet; it rarely visits bird feeders. During
winter 1940-41, Sprunt (1941d) observed these grackles at Lake
Okeechobee harassing Glossy Ibis until they forfeited their crayfish
catches."

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Vince