If biogas was made from biomass, wouldn't the bio-methane used
(whether or not it was converted to synthetic alcohol) be carbon
neutral?

I agree that the partial oxidation step, at least from a net
energy perspective, seems like a step backwards, especially when
there are natural gas powered vehicles and their potential future
seems brighter with the possible use of adsorbed natural gas
tanks:http://www.ngvglobal.com/technology/adsorbed-natural-gas-tank-holds-promise-for-future.html

Though I haven't heard of many problems with the performance of
renewable fuels like ethanol, methane, and hydrogen, I have heard
of issues with their transportation and storage.  This made me
wonder why one would go through the trouble of converting methane
to ethanol, instead of gasoline-like hydrocarbons that would have
an existing transportation infrastructure.

Best wishes,
Gabe

On Mon Jan 07 19:04:40 EST 2008, bruderly <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Gabriel L. Espinosa asks:
> I wonder if they could go straight to gasoline type hydrocarbons
> instead of alcohols.
>
> Bruderly replies:
> Why? Wrong question; the objective of switching to non-petroleum
> alternative
> fuels from biomass is to reduce carbon loading to the atmosphere
> from the
> use or combustion of those chemical fuels. Using renewable energy
> to add
> more carbon atoms to any refined fuel molecule, especially
> relatively pure
> bio-methane and carbon dioxide, is a huge step in the wrong
> direction.
>
> Some people, mostly chemical engineers or chemists, argue that
> low carbon
> content renewable fuels, i.e. ethanol, methane and hydrogen, have
> performance issues. These issues are grossly overstated and
> easily solved
> with minor adjustments to engines and fuel systems. Efforts to
> convert
> biofuels to mimic gasoline molecules simply because they are
> liquids that
> may be easier to handle than ethanol or a gaseous fuel are
> irrelevant to
> solving the very problems that must be solved to reduce carbon
>
> I question the wisdom of running biogas through a partial
> oxidation system
> to make synthesis gas that is then reacted into ethanol. This is
> fundamentally inefficient approach and again is a step in the
> wrong
> direction. Capture and use the methane and carbon dioxide without
> consuming
> the methane to drive the reactions.
>
> We need research to find more efficient and cheaper ways to
> process wet
> biomethane at ambient temperatures. We need better ways to
> separate the
> methane from the carbon dioxide at low temperatures and pressures
> so that
> both chemicals can be put to the most efficient and productive
> uses possible
> at the source; anaerobic digesters can be designed into
> integrated
> facilities that can processes waste into value-added methane and
> carbon
> dioxide that is used on site. Developing integrated facilities
> that process
> wastes and create value-added byproducts at the source before
> their
> byproduct carbon compounds are released to the atmosphere is the
> BEST
> solution.
>
> Given the evidence that climate change is being accelerated by
> positive
> feedback loops, we must start thinking outside the box to
> eliminate carbon
> from all fuels.
>
> We need more academic research and development to find news ways
> [...]

---
Gabriel L. Espinosa