Hi Uri,

I investigated R (the sna/network packages by Carter Butts, in particular)
for large graphs and ran into the problem you describe.  I'm pretty sure
that Carter mentions somewhere in the documentation that there are
efficiency issues with large graphs.  Perhaps there are other R packages
that handle large graphs, but for the time being I've been using the boost
graph library (http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/) which is definitely able
to handle large graphs but of course then one needs to work in
C++ and hand-code SNA routines, which is probably not what most people
want to do.

Rob

-------------------------------------
Dr Robert Ackland
Fellow, Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Sciences
The Australian National University

e-mail:       [log in to unmask]
homepage:     http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/robert.php
project site: http://voson.anu.edu.au
ph./fax/mob.: +61 2 6125 0312/+61 2 6125 2992/+61 438 833 525
mail:         Coombs Building, 9
              Canberra, ACT 0200
              AUSTRALIA