For large networks, one option is to use a sparse matrix data
structure (well, if the graph isn't dense) to store things rather than a
matrix data structure.  One can do that with any programming language.

14k nodes and 70k edges is well within the limits of what one can do
there.

If you don't want to writie things by hand, NetworkX should be able to
handle that.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, SOCNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>  1. social networks & voting
>  2. Cisco Plan Targets the Media --- System Will Help Firms Build Social
>     Networks And Manage the Internet
>  3. size limits in R? (2)

> Date:    Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:08:21 -0500
> From:    Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: social networks & voting

> Finally, the pollsters recognize "old-fashioned" social networks, i.e.
> conversations!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/opinion/06mellman.html
>
> All politics are social!
>
> Valdis

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:17:53 -0600
> From:    Dan Novak <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Cisco Plan Targets the Media --- System Will Help Firms Build Social Networks And Manage the Internet

> Subscription may be required to read the entire article.
>
> Basically, Cisco will host infrastructure/hubs for organizations who want
> to operate SN communities without having to build the hosting
> site/expertise. The two pilot examples are NHL and Nascar
>
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119973082626572521-email.html
>
> Dan Novak - Alliance Executive, IBM Healthcare and Life Sciences
> 6821 Sawgrass, Fort Worth TX  76132     817-870-3956

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:07:52 -0500
> From:    Uri Shwed <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: size limits in R?

> Hi All,
> How does one deals with a really large network (14k nodes, 70k edges)?
> I'm trying my first steps in R - I thought it could do anything, but
> this size scares it away "Error: protect(): protection stack overflow"
> for edgelist and "Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1523603 Kb" for
> plot request. I have raised R's max memory to the point it tells me not
> to be silly...Should my relationship with R be terminated at this early
> stage?
> I'd love to compose a succinct summary of replies and repost for the
> public good.
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Uri Shwed
> ISERP, Columbia University
> Room 805, 420 W 118th St.
> New York 10027 NY
> Tel: 212 854 9374

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:58:47 +1100
> From:    Robert Ackland <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: size limits in R?

> Hi Uri,
>
> I investigated R (the sna/network packages by Carter Butts, in particular)
> for large graphs and ran into the problem you describe.  I'm pretty sure
> that Carter mentions somewhere in the documentation that there are
> efficiency issues with large graphs.  Perhaps there are other R packages
> that handle large graphs, but for the time being I've been using the boost
> graph library (http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/) which is definitely able
> [...]

-----
Mason

  Mason A. Porter
  University Lecturer (and Tutorial Fellow, Somerville College)
  Oxford Centre for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
  Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford

  Homepage: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~porterm, IM: tepid451
  Blog: http://masonporter.blogspot.com/