Robert, Uri:

If you're willing to use Java, JUNG (jung.sourceforge.net) can handle
reasonably large graphs (on the order of a million vertices and as
many edges), and includes a number of SNA algorithm implementations.

Regards,

Joshua O'Madadhain
(Disclaimer: I'm one of the JUNG architects and developers.)

On Jan 8, 2008 3:58 PM, Robert Ackland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Uri,
>
> I investigated R (the sna/network packages by Carter Butts, in particular)
> for large graphs and ran into the problem you describe.  I'm pretty sure
> that Carter mentions somewhere in the documentation that there are
> efficiency issues with large graphs.  Perhaps there are other R packages
> that handle large graphs, but for the time being I've been using the boost
> graph library (http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/) which is definitely able
> to handle large graphs but of course then one needs to work in
> C++ and hand-code SNA routines, which is probably not what most people
> want to do.
>
> Rob
>
> -------------------------------------
> Dr Robert Ackland
> Fellow, Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
> College of Arts and Social Sciences
> The Australian National University
>
> e-mail:       [log in to unmask]
> homepage:     http://adsri.anu.edu.au/people/robert.php
> project site: http://voson.anu.edu.au
> ph./fax/mob.: +61 2 6125 0312/+61 2 6125 2992/+61 438 833 525
> mail:         Coombs Building, 9
>               Canberra, ACT 0200
>               AUSTRALIA
> -------------------------------------
>

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Uri Shwed wrote:
>
> >*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
> >
> >Hi All,
> >How does one deals with a really large network (14k nodes, 70k edges)?
> >I'm trying my first steps in R - I thought it could do anything, but
> >this size scares it away "Error: protect(): protection stack overflow"
> >for edgelist and "Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1523603 Kb" for
> >plot request. I have raised R's max memory to the point it tells me not
> >to be silly...Should my relationship with R be terminated at this early
> >stage?
> >I'd love to compose a succinct summary of replies and repost for the
> >public good.
> >Thanks,
> >
> >--
> >Uri Shwed
> >ISERP, Columbia University
> >Room 805, 420 W 118th St.
> >New York 10027 NY
> >Tel: 212 854 9374

  joshua.omadadhain@gmail.com...................www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson