On Jan 18, 2008 5:19 PM, Paul Burton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > I disagree, based on my own experience with teens and post-teens who
> make
> > substantial use of SMS. I find that they spend substantial time with
> others
> > and use text to sustain their relationships when they're not close, and
> > arrange meetings. I've seen no evidence of "stunted ability to have an
> > actual conversation" that I didn't see in members of the same age group
> > before SMS was available - ie. teens are sometimes socially awkward,
> > regardless.
>
> A: Sure, many teenagers are socially awkward -- but is it not common sense
> to think that an excessive amount of online conversation leaves less time
> for the real thing?  Let's not even mention video games -- while I don't
> have an article in my back pocket, there's been much talk about the problems
> of excessive gaming leading to obesity, for example, not to mention affected
> "real" relationships with peers.

I'm not sure that I accept the premise that online conversation is not "the
real thing."

Given that the members of this list have an interest in research, I think it
would be helpful to hear more about the studies and their conclusions.
While anecdotal data is sometimes relevant, it's hard to know what
conclusions to draw from specific cases.

Obesity could be attrributed to other causes - more eating, television, a
change in exercise patterns, more driving and less walking, etc. I would be
interesting to know how a study would establish a link to a single specific
cause of obesity.

> > > Some research has shown that teenagers actually use web communication
> as a
> > > shield from the 'real thing,' where they can assume contrived
> personalities
> > > to build relationships (if you want to call it that).
> >
> > Can you cite this research?
> See "Cyberpersonalities in Virtual Communities:"
>
> http://ecommerce.hostip.info/pages/283/Cyberculture-Society-Culture-Internet-CYBERPERSONALITIES-IN-VIRTUAL-COMMUNITIES.html

Is that research, or opinion?

> > > We've all heard of marriages online, with young kids moving across the
> > > country to marry someone they've never met. When they finally do have
> > > face-to-face conversation, how quickly the rules change.
> >
> > I hadn't heard of this, can you provide examples?
> The divorce statistics are not out yet; article that sees both sides:
> http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3080313&page=1

The article says pretty clearly that it's speculation, not based on real
data.  Wouldn't it be better to compare  divorces among couples who met
online vs divorces for couples who didn't?

> > Text messaging has clearly impeded the ability for teenagers to write. I
> > can only speculate how professors deal with it. I'm amused by the
research
> > on educating Gen Y, where much effort is placed on designing the
appropriate
> > learning environment for teens: "keep messages short. Change information
> > constantly. Play to their short attention spans."
>
> Can you give a source for this advice?

>  Forrester research presentation (link proprietary): "Designing for Gen
> Y" notes that this group is easily bored, noting that design should take
> note. Recommendations include designing content that stresses immediacy.
> "Gen Yers scan, they don't read" and "use sentence fragments and images, not
> text."  Try CLO media also for further presentations

Thanks.

~ Jon

--
Jon Lebkowsky