I am working with some colleagues on a proposal for a study of the
published research on gambling and the community of researchers who do
this research.

Our hypothesis, or speculation, is that a field that has been operating
for a long time  e.g., Physics  is more likely to have stable, dense
networks and otherwise characteristic patterns of collaboration and
citation than a field that has been operating for a short time.

Any suggestions re literature relevant to this topic would be greatly
appreciated.

Best, Peter Carrington