Peter:

How are you defining "field" and "network" in this context?

These sound trivial, but (based on my own research and others at UC
Irvine) they're actually fundamental questions whose answers are not
obvious.

"Field" could mean "those who publish in a set of specific journals"
but then you may have eliminated at least some of those who are doing
work in new areas within that field.  (Are the various physicists who
are writing papers on social network analysis topics still in the
field of physics--that is, has the field expanded or have those
authors started doing work in a new one?)

Similarly, are two people connected if they published together last
year?  How about 10 years ago?  20?  Does it matter how many papers
they've written together (and when)?  Does the number of collaborators
(on each paper in common) matter?  (Some physics papers have literally
hundreds of co-authors...)

Here are a couple of references of possible interest:

J. O'Madadhain, J. Hutchins, and P. Smyth. Prediction and ranking
algorithms for event-based network data. SIGKDD Explorations, 7(2).
J. O'Madadhain and P. Smyth. EventRank: A framework for ranking
time-varying networks. Third International Workshop on Link Discovery
(LinkKDD'05), August 2005.

You should also check out the work of Padhraic Smyth and Mark Steyvers
(and their collaborators) at UC Irvine; I don't have references handy
but they've published several papers on topics that relate to this.

Hope this helps--

Joshua O'Madadhain

On Jan 28, 2008 5:05 PM, Peter Carrington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am working with some colleagues on a proposal for a study of the
> published research on gambling and the community of researchers who do
> this research.
>
> Our hypothesis, or speculation, is that a field that has been operating
> for a long time  e.g., Physics  is more likely to have stable, dense
> networks and otherwise characteristic patterns of collaboration and
> citation than a field that has been operating for a short time.
>
> Any suggestions re literature relevant to this topic would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Best, Peter Carrington

  joshua.omadadhain@gmail.com...................www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for.  -- Bill Watterson