An e-mail list is an efficient medium to publicize your paper, but it is a medium that can talk back.

Since I work on Hungarian business networks, I opened up this PDF with great interest. However, I haven't found a single bit of network analysis in it.

The term 'network' is mentioned 12 times, all in the introduction (well, one in the references), unoperationalized in subsequent sections.

I think many of us would take issue with the way you imagine networks, and the capabilities of a historical network approach. For example on page 5, second paragraph you say that:

"The neo-institutional perspective of social network analysis can provide us with a view of the (potentially changing) relations in the districts, but not on the dynamics."

I think you should revise your lack of confidence in social network analysis in the light of recent publications about large scale historical dynamics of networks. As you say a paragraph later:

"Relations may function as lock-ins or be beneficial to the dynamics of the system."

Exactly. This is where a historical network analysis could come in, and pinpoint those lock-ins, and choice points between lock-ins and beneficial dynamics.

Best
Balazs

>>> Loet Leydesdorff <[log in to unmask]> 01/04/08 10:23 AM >>>

Measuring the knowledge base in Hungary: Triple Helix dynamics in a
transition economy <http://www.leydesdorff.net/hungary_th6/index.htm>

Balázs Lengyel * and Loet Leydesdorff **

How can the knowledge base of a transition economy be measured? Building on
previous studies in the Netherlands and Germany, we combine the perspective
of regional economics on the interrelationships among geography, technology,
and organization with the triple-helix model of
university-industry-government relations, and use the mutual information in
three dimensions as an indicator of the configurations. Our data consists of
firms categorized in terms of sub-regions (proxy for geography), industrial
sector (proxy for technology), and firm size (proxy for organization). The
results indicate that the knowledge base of Hungary is strongly
differentiated in terms of regions. Budapest and its agglomeration are
central to the country on every indicator. In the north-western part of the
country, foreign-owned companies and FDI disturb an etastistic triple helix
dynamics which is still dominant in the eastern part of the country.
However, the national level seems no longer to add to the synergy among the
regional innovation systems. Further analysis of the knowledge-intensive
services and its high-tech components reveals that the transition from the
planned economy to integration in the European common market is not yet
completed.

<click here for pdf <http://www.leydesdorff.net/hungary_th6/hungary_th6.pdf>

*     Centre for Regional Studies Budapest Department, Hungarian Academy of
Sciences, Teréz krt. 13, H- 1067 Budapest, Hungary; e-mail:

** 	Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR)
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/