we could add a seventh group to the list: unsigned musicians and other
d.i.y.- minded artists.  thousands invest hours of their socializing and
marketing time to building fan bases and audiences online through MS and
FB.  extending danah's comments about restriction, these folks have
responded to the extreme barriers to entry of the american recording
industry...and have played no small part in seeing to it that major label
record companies become obsolete.

>Maybe if we didn't work 80 hour weeks... maybe if we didn't switch jobs
every 18 months... maybe
>if we had more than 2 weeks vacation a year... maybe if we all worked
>9-5... maybe if we let our teens run around outside with their
>friends...

and i wonder then how FB and MS fare in places like Denmark, Sweden, and
Switzerland where these same restrictions do not exist?
what gaps do social networking technologies fill in these countries?

rosalyn

On Jan 16, 2008 5:48 AM, Moses Boudourides <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
> of who I am in order to get sex or approval. ("I like Facebook," said
> another friend. "I got a shag out of it.") It also encourages a disturbing
>
> competitivness around friendship: it seems that with friends today,
> quality
> counts for nothing and quantity is king. The more friends you have, the
> better you are. You are "popular", in the sense much loved in American
> high
> schools." He's also wondering about authentic connectivity through
> Facebook:
> "Doesn't it rather disconnect us, since instead of doing something
> enjoyable
> such as talking and eating and dancing and drinking with my friends, I am
> merely sending them little ungrammatical notes and amusing photos in
> cyberspace, while chained to my desk? A friend of mine recently told me
> that
> he had spent a Saturday night at home alone on Facebook, drinking at his
> desk. What a gloomy image. Far from connecting us, Facebook actually
> isolates us at our workstations." Next, Hodgkinson explores the blurred
> facet of the issue related to capitalism and libertarianism: "Clearly,
> Facebook is another uber-capitalist experiment: can you make money out of
> friendship? Can you create communities free of national boundaries - and
> then sell Coca-Cola to them? Facebook is profoundly uncreative. It makes
> nothing at all. It simply mediates in relationships that were happening
> anyway....The creators of the site need do very little bar fiddle with the
> programme. In the main, they simply sit back and watch as millions of
> Facebook addicts voluntarily upload their ID details, photographs and
> lists
> of their favourite consumer objects. ... Here at last is the Enlightenment
> state longed for since the Puritans of the 17th century sailed away to
> North
> America, a world where everyone is free to express themselves as they
> please, according to who is watching. National boundaries are a thing of
> the
> past and everyone cavorts together in freewheeling virtual space. Nature
> has
> been conquered through man's boundless ingenuity."  So, he concludes:
> "this
> heavily-funded programme to create an arid global virtual republic, where
> your own self and your relationships with your friends are converted into
> commodites on sale to giant global brands. ... For my own part, I am going
> to retreat from the whole thing, remain as unplugged as possible, and
> spend
> the time I save by not going on Facebook doing something useful, such as
> reading books. And if I want to connect with the people around me, I will
> revert to an old piece of technology. It's free, it's easy and it delivers
> uniquely individual experience in sharing information: it's called

Rosalyn Negrón
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
UMass Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.