Nine birders joined Paul Bithorn and me this past weekend for Tropical
Audubon's annual winter trek to the Florida Panhandle. Paddy Cunningham brought an
additional six birders; John Kellam and Karl Edwards met up with us once in the
Panhandle. In spite of Saturday's heavy rains, and frigid temperatures on
Sunday and early Monday, we still managed to tally 135 species.

Our first stop was on Ranch Road in Astatula, on the northwest side of Lake
Apopka in Lake County, where after a few minutes of searching, we found the
Say's Phoebe discovered there several weeks ago. After lunch, we headed north to
O'Leno State Park in Columbia County, where a Fox Sparrow was reported earlier
in the week. We could not locate the Fox Sparrow, but Paddy Cunningham did
spot a Winter Wren along the trail to the river sink. Unfortunately, the wren
could not be relocated. We also saw the first of many Red-headed Woodpeckers for
the trip.

Saturday morning began at Torreya State Park in Liberty County, where just
like last year, we easily located a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos in front of
Gregory House. Heavy rains associated with a passing cold front prevented us from
birding the park extensively, so we moved on to the home of Ray Dennis in
Blountstown, Calhoun County. After only a few-minute wait, the spectacular adult
male Broad-billed Hummingbird that had been banded there made an appearance.
White-throated Sparrow was also seen while there. We continued west, where the
rains forced us to break early for lunch. The rains finally abated, which allowed
us to visit Hightower Road, near Vernon in Washington County. After
considerable searching, we found and eventually had crippling looks at one of the Fox
Sparrows previously reported from that location. Next stop was the home of Dara
and Lloyd Dobson in DeFuniak Springs, Walton County, where we had to deal
with frigid post-front conditions. The Dobsons graciously provided coffee and a
space heater while we waited for their banded female Anna's Hummingbird to
arrive. After a short but seemingly endless wait, this adorable little hummer
finally made an appearance. Our last stop of the day was at Ponce de Leon Springs
State Park in Holmes County, where we added Golden-crowned Kinglet and Brown
Creeper to our trip list.

Sunday began at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge in Wakulla County. We
searched for Rusty Blackbirds at bridges along the first stretch of the refuge
road, but found none. Driving on, we spotted a bobcat crossing the road near the
trailhead for the refuge's primitive trails. At the helipad near the
trailhead, we managed in-flight looks at both Henslow's Sparrow and Sedge Wren.
Brown-headed Nuthatches were seen near the trailhead. Three Black-necked Stilts were
at Stony Bayou Pool #1; a few Northern Shovelers, Lesser Scaup and Bufflehead
were in Mounds Pools. Duck numbers were highest at Picnic Pond, where we found
several Canvasbacks, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers and Ruddy Ducks, plus a
lone female Gadwall. Four American Avocets were feeding along the shore. After
a delicious picnic lunch, generously provided by former Miamian Jean Quincy,
her daughter Lynn and Apalachee Audubon President Elizabeth Platt, we headed to
the lighthouse area at the end of the refuge road. Red-breasted Merganser,
Common Loon, Horned Grebe and American White Pelican were found in the bay,
while Nelson s Sharp-tailed and Seaside Sparrows as well as more Sedge Wrens were
flushed from adjacent salt marsh. A Clapper Rail was heard, but not seen, by a
few participants. We stopped at the visitor center on our way out of the
refuge, where we found a flock of Rusty Blackbirds, as well as a few Wilson s
Snipe feeding along the edge of the pond behind the visitor center building. From
St. Marks, we headed west to agricultural fields east of Malone in Jackson
County, where we hoped to find Horned Larks. We failed to find the larks, but did
find good numbers of American Pipit and Vesper Sparrow.

Monday began at Tall Timbers Research Station in Leon County, where former
Florida Keys resident and now Tall Timbers employee Chris Borg helped us to
explore the property. We failed to find any of the recently introduced
Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, but we did see several White-breasted Nuthatches, Eastern
Bluebirds and Red-headed Woodpeckers, plus Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and House
Finch. Our trip ended at the home of Tallahassee resident Fran Rutkovsky, where we
saw Rufous Hummingbird, Western and Summer Tanager, and Bullock's and
Baltimore Oriole, plus Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Downy Woodpecker, White-breasted
Nuthatch, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Carolina Wren, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted
Titmouse, Pine Warbler, Chipping Sparrow and American Goldfinch, all coming to
feeders in her amazing backyard.

Brian Rapoza
Field Trip Coordinator
Tropical Audubon Society