For those who did not see Bob Wallace's post and beautiful photo of the Kumlien's Gull on Brdbrains.

Yesterday, 1/23, we had a spectacular day at the Volusia Landfill near Daytona Beach.  The field trip was a part of the Space Coast Birding Festival and we had about 32 participants. Led By Alvaro Jaramillo and Paul Lehman with Bob Wallace, Jeff Gordon and Chris Wood and myself. We had a fantastic assortment of gulls including two first winter Glaucous Gulls, 2 first winter Kumlien's (Iceland) Gulls and an unusual hybrid, probably of the Glaucous x Herring Gull x ? type. There were tremendous numbers of birds there - perhaps 20,000 gulls, as well as an amazing number of Bald Eagles.

If you visit the landfill, you must register in and out at the Administration Building.  There is a lot of heavy machinery and fast moving trucks. Please stay on major roads and stay out of the way of the trucks. We do not want our access to this amazing birding resource ended. There are very few landfills that allow public access for birding. You are not allowed into any active areas.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet