We exempt our students from placement testing if they score above certain cutoffs in the ACT or SAT reading and writing tests. We use COMPASS for reading placement. Our students take the COMPASS writing test, but we use it only to exempt students from developmental writing because we found it doesn't satisfactorily identify developmental writers. Students who score below the cutoff score in this test do a writing sample, which faculty evaluate for placement in developmental or college-level composition.

________________________________

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Esther Rosenstock
Sent: Fri 1/25/2008 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Placement Testing into Dev Reading and Writing Courses

Dear List Serv Members,
i could really use your feedback on placing students in developmental
reading and writing courses..
We have been using the SAT scores and high school GPAs to place
students into Dev Reading and Writing courses.  In addition, we give the
students the Accuplacer test, and if they receive a certain score, they
do not have to take the developmental courses.
How is your school placing students in Dev courses?
  Are you giving a placement test or are you relying on the SAT as a
placement measure?
Do you use the SAT writing portion?
 Are there any online reading and writing placement tests that
accurately place students?
Placing students in the correct courses is a delicate balance.  I would
gretly appreciate your weighing in on the subject of placement.
Thanks.
Esther

Esther B. Rosenstock
Director of Developmental Education