Linda,
I have worked as a faculty member with release time to run a center, as
an administrator with leave time to teach, and as an administrator with
no teaching.  The advantage of the first two is the connection,
interaction, and credibility with the faculty. The advantage of the
third is having one full time job rather than two part-time which always
add up to more than full time. And vice versa: the disadvantage of the
first two is time and that of the third is ease of working with faculty.
Because I have not taught at this institution, the faculty by and large
sees me as "staff".  Part of this issue is that the position reports to
the Dean of Students.  For political reasons, I think it is best to be
on the academic side.
The upside of being an administrator: pay is usually higher than
faculty.  The downside: no summer off options and/or in most cases,
sabbaticals. I'm not expected to take work home as much but I am
expected to (continue to) put in nights and weekends for training,
workshops, presentations and other activities.

There are a number of advantages to being an administrator, but I can't
underestimate the impact of being considered not to be one of the
faculty members.

Best, of luck with this and staying warm in Minnesota!

Laura

Laura Symons
Coordinator of the Learning Center
Piedmont Virginia Community College