Travis,
Following a grant-funded research project with "intrusive"
intervention--which we now call "pro-active" intervention, we have done
very similar things to what your are proposing to do at Aurora.  I teach
the course, and I do the required independent studies for students on
probation. We have added elements incrementally, but on a small scale,
since we are such a small school. I'm a doctoral student, and my spring
research project for an ed research class is seeing if there are any
correlations between the components in the remediation plan for the
probation students and their subsequent success on high-risk
standardized tests.

Last spring, for another course-related research project, I did a study
to see if I could demonstrate a correlation between students being
taught about learning styles in their freshman success skills course and
their subsequent use of that knowledge. My hypothesis was that they
would recall and use it less and less as they went through the program,
but that was not the case: no student at any level who had taken the
course as a freshman chose lower than 3 on a 0-5 Likert scale indicating
recollection and intentional application; and the most frequent response
on the scale was 5. I had planned to also look for correlations between
intentional application of learning style with grades, but I couldn't do
that, since every single student who had taken the course and was
successful enough to still be in the progam said they recalled and used
the course at least at level 3. I'm working on getting the study ready
to submit for publication.

We are only a few hours' drive apart in Illinois--I would welcome the
opportunity to work with you further on your project.  Please feel free
to contact me directly.
Linda Riggs Mayfield