February 18, 2008

TO:    Graduate Coordinators and Administrative Staff
cc:    Department Chairs

FROM:  Dr. Karen Bradley
	 Associate Director, Graduate School

RE:    Fall 2008 New Graduate Student Orientation

Below is the University of Florida Fall 2008 orientation schedule for
new graduate students.

Please include in your letter of admission or other correspondence the
dates for Fall Orientation. A brochure or website link will be emailed
to admitted students in the summer as a reminder. Please ask the
students to make sure they update their home email address.  We will NOT
be mailing the brochure via US postal service as in previous years.

These events should be considered mandatory for new students, as
appropriate.

Department and college orientations should be scheduled so as not to
conflict with the university orientation. Students admitted for Spring
2008 (who did not attend the Spring 2008 orientation) or Summer 2008
should consider attending.

We will have representatives from relevant UF offices and groups for
students to learn about additional university and community resources
and activities.

The Graduate School is in the process of publishing the schedule on our
website for prospective students. It should be available soon for
continual reference throughout the year.

We had about 1200 new students attend last year.

Thank you for your assistance.

We look forward to meeting the new students in August.

Monday 8/18/08
New Graduate Student Orientation
   Table Displays  8:00am-12:30pm
   Presentation    8:30am-10:15am
Grand Ballroom, J Wayne Reitz Union

Monday 8/18/08
International Graduate Student Orientation
10:30am-12:00pm
Grand Ballroom, J Wayne Reitz Union

Monday 8/18/08
TA Orientation-Part I
1:00pm-3:30pm
Grand Ballroom, J Wayne Reitz Union

Tuesday 8/19/08
TA Orientation-Part II
8:30am-3:30pm
Rion Ballroom, J Wayne Reitz Union

Wednesday 8/20/08
Academic Written English screening test for international students
8:30 am
CSE 119 Subject to change as room availability permits

Wednesday 8/20/08
SPEAK test for international students
4:00-5:00pm
1341 Turlington (Language Learning Center)
Subject to change as room availability permits

OPTIONAL FOR TAs
Thursday 8/21/08
Using multimedia and UF electronic classrooms
L-111 Turlington
Subject to change as room availability permits

Thursday 8/21 and Friday 8/22
College/Department Orientations