All:

Here's the results of today's Presidents Day special tour out at
STA-5 in Hendry County, south of Clewiston. Although the 88 or so
folks that showed up (some just to see the Greater Flamingo), no new
species were seen although a new "morph" i.e. Great White Heron (of
the Great Blue Heron) was photographed by Bill & Eleanor Marr. There
were two special aspects of today's tour. One was that reporter
Willie Howard of the Palm Beach Post was on hand gathering info for
an article he is writing on the Great Backyard Bird Count to be
published later this month. Watch for it. The other one was that
South Florida Water Management District's Sally McPhearson was there
with a film crew from Mainsail Video (out of Ft. Myers) conducting
interviews and shooting video for an upcoming segment of "Everglades
Update" to be aired in the near future on the local Ft. Myers WINK tv
station. Here's the day list:

Fulvous Whistling-Duck  8 (seen by several of us at the very end of
the tour as we made a final "sweep" to make sure no one was locked in
at STA-5)
American Wigeon  6
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail  >75
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback  8(!) (The most we have ever seen at STA-5 and the most I
personally have ever seen in Florida anywhere!)
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck  3
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican  >150
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron including one Great White heron (white morph)
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron  26 (seen mostly by the Marr's)
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill  >300
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Greater Flamingo   1
Osprey
Snail Kite  1
Bald Eagle  1
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk  3
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon  1
Purple Gallinule  1 (Thanks Brian for finding this bird as we having
seen one at STA-5 in well over a month)
Purple Swamphen  6
Common Moorhen
American Coot  >25000
Limpkin  3
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt  >25
American Avocet  9
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Western Sandpiper  4
Least Sandpiper
Dunlin  3  (photographed Bill!)
Stilt Sandpiper 2
Long-billed Dowitcher  >1500
Ring-billed Gull  1
Gull-billed Tern  1
Caspian Tern  15
Black Skimmer  >400
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Barn Owl  1
Belted Kingfisher
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1 (seen by the Marr's et al)
Loggerhead Shrike
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Savannah Sparrow  8
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark  4
Common Grackle
Boat-tailed Grackle

Any corrections or additions are welcome as are any photographs
anyone wants to send me of birds taken at STA-5 over the long three-
day weekend. Thanks to all who have come out to STA-5 over the last
three days, making it the largest number of folks who have ever come
out to take our tours. Thanks also to Margaret England and the other
members of the Hendry-Glades Audubon Society for all of their hard work.

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL