After a long period without a lot of new birds in the neighborhood,
things are starting to pick up here in the Keys.

Last Saturday, on No Name Key, there were six Wood Storks riding the
breezes. Not unusual for the mainland, but they had no call to be down
in these parts.

Tuesday this week I had a Swallow-tailed Kite, first in Key West, then
a few hours later on Sugarloaf. I'm pretty sure it was the same bird,
as it had an "I (heart) Broward" tattoo on it's chest. Again, not
unusual for the mainland, but most northbound migrant SWKIs don't
navigate their way across the ocean precisely enough to hit Key West
dead on the way that bird did.

This morning we had a trio of female Baltimore Orioles, which have
definitely not been here all winter. They were in a tree with a Western
Kingbird and a half-dozen Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, which have been
regular.

Also seen today:

Peregrine Falcon
Short-tailed Hawk (white phased)
American Kestrel
Broad-winged Hawk
Bald Eagle
Turkey Vulture
Double-crested Cormorant
Red-breasted Merganser
Spotted Sandpiper
Dunlin
Wilson's Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Short-billed Dowitcher
Least Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
White Ibis
Great Egret
Reddish Egret
Great White Heron
Snowy Egret
Tricolored Heron
Gray Catbird
Palm Warlber
Prairie Warbler
Northern Mockingbird

And no doubt several other things that currently escape my memory.

Mark Hedden
Bone Island Bird Expeditions
"Birding Key West, the Lower Keys, and the Rest of the World."
www.boneisland.com
305-587-6059