This afternoon, 2/20, at 5:50 p.m, I found a 1st winter California Gull on the beach at Daytona Beach Shores with the thousands of gulls that spend the night there after visiting the Volusia Landfill in the daytime. The bird was distinctly smaller than the herring Gulls nearby. The bird had a few scapulars coming in that were noticeably darker than the Herring Gulls. The bird also showed the distinctive bluish color to the tibia.

I assume that this is the same bird that we found a couple of weeks ago at the landfill. There was also the 1st winter Glaucous Gull on the beach. I did not see the Iceland Gull.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet