There is no one answer to supplying our energy needs.  Solar has an important role, but, if Chicago was depending on significant areas on solar energy this winter, there would be loud complaints.  Nuclear energy has to come to the forefront for our long-term energy needs.  Power distribution is in place, though needing major upgrades, to supply electricity for mobile electric use, i.e., hybrid vehicles.

"Harald W. Kegelmann" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  What most people in this country refuse to accept is that we can't
grow ourselves out of the coming shortage of oil supply. The problem
is not the cost of biodiesel production. Once oil hits $200/barrel
this problem will take care of itself.

We simply can't get from here to there without a significant, and I
mean SIGNIFICANT change in life style.

In Florida, we consume about 8 BILLION gallons of gasoline. Research
at IFAS shows that theoretically, we have enough biomass in the state
to generate 8 billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol a year. Well, for
years, the largest biodiesel plant in the state had a capacity of 20
million gallons/year (mg/y). We would need 400 plants of that size to
get to 8 billion. Permitting and construction would take about 18
month. So we are talking about 600 years in construction time.

The largest COMMERCIAL cellulosic ethanol plant based on Dr. Ingram's
technology has a capacity of 300,000 gallons a year or 1.5 percent of
a 20 mg/y plant.

No technology can replace an energy source and there simply is no
energy source like oil. We can't get from here to there with any type
of fossil fuel or biofuel. The numbers just don't add up. The sun is
the only energy source that will be around for a while. The sooner we
get that and switch to a solar based economy the better. There will be
winners and losers as the supply of oil dries out.

Germany plans to install 1,000 more solar power this year than the
installed capacity of solar in the "Sunshine State." Abu Dhabi plans
to invest $15 BILLION to establish a renewable energy economy:

http://www.photon-magazine.com/news_archiv/details.aspx?cat=News_PI&sub=africa&pub=4&parent=954

What happened to the pony express and the mainframe will happen to
those how try desperately to hang on to the old ways of the fossil
fuel century.

Harry

> If diesel from petroleum oil is expensive, biodiesel from soybean oil is
> almost ludicrous. Rising costs of farm operations along with a decreased
> supply and increased demand are keeping biodiesel prices sky high and
> preventing it from becoming a widely applied alternative fuel.
>
> A biodiesel feedstock that is not tied to petroleum consumption seems to be
> the most logical.
> Algae- powered by the sun, nutrient-rich wastewater, and carbon dioxide-
> could be applied in the production of such a feedstock.
>
> -Scott J.E.
>

> http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-the-barrel/2008/03/25/going-biodiesel-is-no-cheap-alternative.html
> Going Biodiesel Is No Cheap Alternative March 25, 2008 03:28 PM ET | Marianne
> Lavelle|
> Permanent
> Link
>
> The retail cost of highway diesel fuel is $3.99 per gallon—thanks to tough
> environmental rules and strong global demand, especially in Europe. The
> national average retail price of diesel hit an all-time high for five weeks
> in a row, is above $4 per gallon in plenty of places, and is up 50 percent
> over one year ago.
>
> I thought this might make it a good market for biodiesel, the alternative
> fuel blended from vegetable or plant oils, but then I saw Autobloggreen's
> reporton
> a Minnesota biodiesel plant that was halting production, at least
> temporarily, because of skyrocketing soybean oil costs.
>
> Guess what? Petroleum prices have yanked farm prices up right along with
> them, because of rising farm energy costs and rising use of biofuels. By
> now, everyone knows about corn prices and
> ethanol,
> but keep in mind that when farmers turn soy acres to corn for ethanol, that
> means higher prices for soy—the most common feedstock for biodiesel in the
> United States. So the rising petroleum tide lifts all alternative
> boats......
> continued at:
>

> http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-the-barrel/2008/03/25/going-biodiesel-is-no-cheap-alternative.html

R. L. Vetter, PhD, PAS, Dipl. ACAN