 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue          Room 418          Toronto Canada M5S 2G8
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-7162
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days

Cooperation, Punishment And Revenge In Economics And Society , Science
Daily

Excerpts: Research from The University of Nottingham has shed new light on
the way in which people co-operate for the common good -- and what happens
when they don't.  (..) economists studied the extent to which some people
will sacrifice personal gain to benefit the wider public, while
'freeloaders' try to take advantage of their generosity. Marked national
differences arose when freeloaders were punished for putting their own
interests ahead of the common good. And whether they accepted their
punishment or retaliated in kind depended on what kind of society they
lived in, the researchers found.

* [4] Cooperation, Punishment And Revenge In Economics And Society,
08/03/10, ScienceDaily

[4] http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080306183134.htm

01.01. Behavior: Punishment and Cooperation , Science

Excerpts: (...) university students in democratic societies with advanced
market economies show different social behavior from that exhibited by
students in more traditional societies based on authoritarian and
parochial social institutions. Their results suggest that the success of
democratic market societies may depend critically on moral virtues as well
as material interests, so the depiction of civil society as the sphere of
"naked self-interest"  is radically incorrect.  The standard view holds
that human nature has a private side in which we interact morally with a
small circle of intimates and a public side in which we behave as selfish
maximizers.

* [5] Behavior: Punishment and Cooperation, Herbert Gintis, 08/03/07, DOI:
10.1126/science.1155333, Science : Vol. 319. no. 5868, pp. 1345 - 1346

[5] http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/319/5868/1345

Antisocial Punishment Across Societies , Science

Excerpts: We document the widespread existence of antisocial punishment,
that is, the sanctioning of people who behave prosocially. Our evidence
comes from public goods experiments that we conducted in 16 comparable
participant pools around the world. However, there is a huge
cross-societal variation. Some participant pools punished the high
contributors as much as they punished the low contributors, whereas in
others people only punished low contributors.  In some participant pools,
antisocial punishment was strong enough to remove the
cooperation-enhancing effect of punishment.

* [6] Antisocial Punishment Across Societies, Benedikt Herrmann et al, 08,
DOI: 10.1126/science.1153808, Science 319, 1362

[6] http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/319/5868/1362

Social Networking Moves to the Cellphone , NY Times

Excerpts: Most mobile social networks seek to capitalize on location
information. The SpaceMe service from GyPSii, for instance, will show
users where friends and other members are in real time. A GyPSii search
will show users a map of their environs dotted with photos, videos and
information from other members. Bliin, another network that started in
Amsterdam, lets users update and post their whereabouts every 15 seconds.

* [19] Social Networking Moves to the Cellphone, Victoria Shannon,
08/03/06, NYTimes

[19] http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/technology/06wireless.html