Prabir,

The term 'scale free' is a very unfortunate (and misleading) term that
was spread based on the terminology choice of some individuals.  (Some
people on this mailing list who know me are probably laughing their heads
off and expecting me to go into one of my usual rants.  I'll spare
you this time.)  It is used to refer to networks with degree distributions
given by power laws (or, for real data, have power law tails) because a
commonality of these sorts of scaling laws (which is different from
scales, by the way, despite the similar terminology) one finds in fractal
structures.  The thing is that networks with those degree distributions
_can_ have scales, as discussed in gory detail by John Doyle and
collaborators.  It's better to just state the power law aspect of it
when one's network has that feature and not comment on whether or
not there are scales unless one goes beyond the degree distribution.

One of Doyle's papers that discusses this is here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0501169

I hope this helps.

-----
Mason