From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Skye Bender-deMoll
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 3:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: oil industry contribution networks

Dear Friends,

   I've been involved in a project by the non-profit Oil Change
International to create interactive network visualizations of U.S.
federal campaign contributions from the Oil and Gas industries.   The
website has finally been officially launched, and I think some of you might
be have fun exploring the networks:

http://oilmoney.priceofoil.org

The goal was to create accessible visual summaries of ~80,000 contributions,
displayed in network and drillable/sortable tabular forms for both chambers
of Congress and presidential races from 2000 to 2008.  The network images
are bipartite graphs of companies and politicians, linked by arcs giving
contribution amounts. Clicking on nodes gives additional information.
Companies are actually aggregations of giving by company Political Action
Committees and individuals' declared affiliations.  Networks can be
thresholded by quartile ranges independently for edges, companies, and
politicians.

The data come from U.S. Federal Election Commission filings, cleaned and
categorized by the Center for Responsive Politics, and includes links to the
actual filing receipts to document each contribution. We have also
integrated the data with a crude industry support voting
score based on selected energy and climate congressional votes.   We
may be able to make formatted network and attribute data available to
researchers who are interested in working with Oil Change International to
do more rigorous and sophisticated forms of statistical analysis.

Please contact me with questions, comments, or suggestions

best,

  -Skye Bender-deMoll  ([log in to unmask])

Technical note for those interested:  The site is built from open
source components in PHP and javascript/AJAX.   The coordinates for
the layouts are produced using the Kamada-Kawai layout implementation in the
GraphViz neato package.  The Graphviz community was kind enough to make some
modifications to their code to assist us. Additional data for id linking and
voting came from GovTrack.us and the Sunlight Labs API.