Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to send you information about an upcoming Short Course on
Social Network Analysis being hosted in May of 2008 by the Center for the
Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis (CARMA) at Virginia
Commonwealth University.    CARMA is an interdisciplinary center that is
now in its tenth year of operation, and it has hosted over 120 events
since its inception. The instructor for this short course will be Dr.
Stephen Borgatti of the University of Kentucky.  In addition to the Social
Network Analysis course, CARMA will be also offering 11 other Short
Courses, and more information about CARMA and our events can be found at
our website: (http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/).

All of our short courses last two and a half days and include an equal
balance of lecture and lab time with hands-on experience, with an emphasis
on the application of the methodology.  Our instructors are nationally
recognized within the organizational studies and management areas as
experts on their topics, and several are current/past editors and
editorial board members of leading organizational journals.

The cost per course is $500 for students or $700 for faculty or
professionals, and this cost includes lunches, a dinner, and all program
materials.  There is also a 50% discount for faculty and students coming
from schools participating in our Consortium Webcast Program (a list of
participating schools is available on our website: (
http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/CurrentConsortiumMembers.asp).

We are very excited that we will be hosting our Summer Short Courses in
Snead Hall, our new School of Business Building that we have just moved
into, and pictures are available on the School of Business website: (
http://www.bus.vcu.edu/).  I am also very happy to report that our main
2008 CARMA Summer Short Course hotel will be the newly remodeled Double
Tree Hotel, which is only one block from Snead Hall.  Reservation
information is now available:  (
http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/RICFSDT-VMC-20080508/index.jhtml
).  We also have other reasonably priced hotel accommodations available.
Snead Hall and the hotels are only 15 minutes from the Richmond Airport,
which now provides direct connections to 24 major destination markets via
over 200 daily flights.

Let me encourage you to register early, as we are limiting the number of
participants in each course, and based on past experience some may fill up
quickly. The deadline for Advanced Registration is April 1 (after this
date a late registration fee is added).

Thanks.

Dr. Larry J. Williams
CARMA Director

Social Network Analysis
CARMA Short Course, May 15-17, 2008
Dr. Stephen Borgatti
University of Kentucky

Presenter Information
Steve Borgatti is the Chellgren Endowed Chair in the Management Department
of the Gatton College of Business at the University of Kentucky. He has
published more than 80 papers on social networks and ethnographic research
methods. His research interests include knowledge management, culture and
cognition and mathematical/computational approaches to organizational
theory. He is author of the most widely used social network analysis
software, UCINET, and is a 2-term past president of INSNA, the
professional association for social network researchers. He is currently a
Senior Editor of Organization Science, and sits on the editorial boards of
several social science journals. He is currently engaged in a 3-year
research project funded by the Office of Naval Research to develop
methodology for identifying key players in a network.

Dr. Borgatti earned his B.A. in Anthropology from Cornell University and
his Ph.D. in Mathematical Social Science from the University of
California, Irvine. He has taught at the University of California,
Riverside, the University of South Carolina, and Boston College. Prior to
pursuing an academic career, Dr. Borgatti spent six years working for
Boston-area management consulting firms, including the Planning Economics
Group and Management Decision Systems. He continues to serve as an
independent management consultant focusing on network issues.

Steve teaches courses in organizational behavior, qualitative and
multivariate research methods, interpersonal communication, and social
networks.

Course Summary
A beginner?s tutorial on the concepts, methods and data analysis
techniques of social network analysis. The course begins with a general
introduction to the distinct goals and perspectives of network analysis,
followed by a practical discussion of network data, covering issues of
collection, validity, visualization, and mathematical/computer
representation. We then take up the methods of detection and description
of structural properties such as centrality, cohesion, subgroups, cores,
roles, etc. Finally, we consider how to frame and test network hypotheses.
An important element of this workshop is that all participants learn to
use the UCINET 6 and NetDraw network analysis software packages.

Course Outline & Learning Objectives
Day 1:
        The network perspective
        Basic graph-theoretic concepts
        Network data collection
        Network data management
        Visualization

Day 2:
        Structural Holes and Ego Network Analysis
        Measuring Centrality
        Detecting Cohesive Subgroups
        Measuring Structural Equivalence

Day 3:
        Testing Network Hypotheses
        Working with Participant Datasets

Dr. Larry J. Williams, Director
Center for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis (CARMA)
http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/carma/
Virginia Commonwealth University
301 W. Main Street, Snead Hall
PO Box 844000