Today, I had the distinct pleasure of birding with Milton Plaugher from Winter Park from 2:00 p.m. till dusk. We met at the Fair Havens Nursing Home in Miami Springs and located our first psittacid within minutes - an Orange-winged Parrot. We zipped over to Kings Creek Condominium south of Kendall and just west of SR 826 and found a Black Olive tree full of Mitred Parakeets. Next stop - the residential area north of Baptist Hospital- where Red-whiskered Bulbul and Loggerhead Shrikes were the highlights. A quick stop in South Miami produced White-crowned Pigeons and Common Peafowl. We finished up back in Miami Springs, where Monk Parakeets, Yellow-chevroned Parakeets, Mitred, Red-masked, Red-fronted, Crimson-fronted, White-eyed and Green Parakeets and Orange-winged (10) and Yellow-crowned (1) Parrots were in their usual haunts.Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, Wood Stork, White-winged Dove,Purple Martins and Spot-breasted Oriole were also in the hood. Blackened Dolphin and Yuengling at Woody's Tavern finished off a great afternoon of birding. Life is good.......................
Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, FL
Miami-Dade County