-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Genser, Holly
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Program for At-Risk Students

Dear LRNASST Members,

I need some guidance for a new program for at-risk students that I am
developing and piloting. So far, 20 percent of the target population
responded to e-mails and participated in personal interviews. Students
identified the factors that affected their performance. Some received
referrals to other departments, some participated in a short study
skills session. Most wanted to set follow-up appointments and some were
also required and encouraged in order to work on specific needs.

The problem is, most students don't return for follow up sessions or
small groups. Yet I have read about other programs that have
participation. How do you get students to consistently participate? We
have individual appointments, small group sessions, and Success Seminars
that are open to the whole student body. We only have about 600 students
on our campus, but attendance runs from 0-3 people. Mostly, it's zero.
By comparison, our participation in tutoring has increased by 500% in
two out of three labs.

Since we have a relatively new Learning Center, I've hired an advanced
advertising and marketing student with work experience to conduct a
market research study and help develop advertising and promotions for
next year. I've read about the characteristics of students at-risk, and
I know that they are hard to reach.

Do any of you listserv members have any methods of encouraging
participation in your at-risk programs that have worked for you? Can you
suggest any resources for us?

Holly Genser

Holly G. Genser, Director

Florida Learning Center

Northwood University

West Palm Beach, FL 33409

Northwood University: Discover the Leader in You

The mission of the Florida Learning Center is to
empower students with the skills for
academic success and lifelong learning.

browser to