Marcy,
We are finishing our first year with a mentoring program, although our
mentors are students. We have learned a LOT this year. The biggest thing
is that the students don't really want to meet face-to-face. Our mentors
really had a hard time getting them to show up for meetings; we even
bribed them with food and give-aways and they still didn't want to come to
small group or even individual meetings.  Instead, they wanted someone to
email with questions, someone to check up on them through facebook, etc.
So, technology has shown to be a very important component of the mentoring
process for students.

Next year, we will have our mentoring as part of our UNV 101 course which
is really an extended orientation. It is not a required course, so we will
only work with the 140 or so students who enroll in that class. That way,
they will have a set meeting (during class) and can still enjoy the less
intrusive technology interaction.

Hope this helps,
Diana Bell

> Fellow Listers,
>

> We are developing a mentor program here at the College of Saint Rose in
> hopes of helping retention with our freshmen.  Our mentors would be
> faculty members, administrators and other staff on campus; they would
> meet with small groups of freshmen early in their college experience
> (during orientation or the first week of school), make a connection and
> then do follow-up meetings in the fall and the spring.
>

> Is anyone out there doing something similar?  If so, what are your
> results/experiences?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Marcy Nielsen
>
> Director of the Learning Center
>
> The College of Saint Rose
>
> Albany, NY 12203
>
> (518) 337-4989

> browser to

Dr. Diana C. Bell
Academic Resource Center Director
136 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL  35899
256.824.3142

"We cannot learn something without eating it, yet we cannot really learn
it either without letting it eat us."
                              (Peter Elbow)