-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christine Flax
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mentor program for freshmen

At Villa Julie College, we are very proud of our PASS mentoring program of
faculty, staff, administration guiding students. The retention of these
students is excellent and the program has been in existence since
1996.   Among several national and regional recognitions, PASS was the
recipient of the 2001 Noel-Levitz Retention Excellence Award and recently of
the MD Psychological Healthy Workplace Award.  Our program is certainly too
detailed to explain in email, so if you want further information, please
feel free to call.  I have presented this at several national conferences
and will probaly do so again in the future.

Christine T. Flax
Asst. Professor of English Language & Literature
Director of PASS
Director of The Academic Link
Villa Julie College
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD 21153
443-334-2639

Marcy,
We are finishing our first year with a mentoring program, although our
mentors are students. We have learned a LOT this year. The biggest thing is
that the students don't really want to meet face-to-face. Our mentors really
had a hard time getting them to show up for meetings; we even bribed them
with food and give-aways and they still didn't want to come to small group
or even individual meetings.  Instead, they wanted someone to email with
questions, someone to check up on them through facebook, etc. So, technology
has shown to be a very important component of the mentoring process for
students.

Next year, we will have our mentoring as part of our UNV 101 course which is
really an extended orientation. It is not a required course, so we will only
work with the 140 or so students who enroll in that class. That way, they
will have a set meeting (during class) and can still enjoy the less
intrusive technology interaction.

Hope this helps,
Diana Bell

> Fellow Listers,
>

> We are developing a mentor program here at the College of Saint Rose
in
> hopes of helping retention with our freshmen.  Our mentors would be
> faculty members, administrators and other staff on campus; they
would
> meet with small groups of freshmen early in their college experience
> (during orientation or the first week of school), make a connection
and
> then do follow-up meetings in the fall and the spring.
>

> Is anyone out there doing something similar?  If so, what are your
> results/experiences?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Marcy Nielsen
>
> Director of the Learning Center
>
> The College of Saint Rose
>
> Albany, NY 12203
>
> (518) 337-4989

web
> browser to

Dr. Diana C. Bell
Academic Resource Center Director
136 Madison Hall
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL  35899
256.824.3142

"We cannot learn something without eating it, yet we cannot really learn it
either without letting it eat us."
                              (Peter Elbow)