-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lucy MacDonald
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutoring effectiveness?

Linda,

In my work with nursing students, using the Loma Linda Test Analysis
form, we were able to demonstrate that 80% of test errors were due to
learning/study skills problems. This meant that only 20% of the
difficulties were content related. This made a definite difference in
providing students with assistance and it also lightened up the load of
the clinical instructor!

The problems were generic not content specific in nature.  Those who
spent time focusing on the content alone did not make strides in
improvement overall or in the long term, because the generic
difficulties were not addressed.

(15 years teaching Nursing Success Strategies)

Lucy Tribble MacDonald, M.A.,M.A.Faculty Emerita
Chemeketa Community College
4977 Brookmeade DR
Sarasota, FL34232

http://www.howtostudy.org