Lisa,

I was asking a similar question earlier about how many tutors other
learning centers employ compared to the student enrollment figure, but I
didn't include our own information at the University of Texas at
Brownsville/Texas Southmost College.

Our university has 11,000 students. Our learning center employs a total
of 32 tutors. Here's the breakdown with the total number of available
hours in parentheses: We have 10 Supplemental Instruction Leaders (110
hrs), 1 CIS tutor (16 hrs), 1 Resp. Therapy tutor (16 hrs), 4
Reading/Study Skills tutors, 1 Accounting tutor (16 hrs), and 3 Language
tutors (26 hrs), 6 math tutors (110 hrs) and 6 writing tutors (100 hrs).

Please note that although our SI Leaders are employed for 10 hours per
course, they are available to facilitate group study sessions 3 hours
each week, with an extra session before exams. The other time is spent
in the targeted class, preparing for sessions or in meetings with the
professor or SI supervisor. We offer sessions for biological sciences,
psychology and history. Attendance for biology and history is excellent,
but for psychology, lags behind a bit.

Except for SI, we provide services on a walk-in basis: first come, first
serve, so there is rarely downtime in our Math and Writing Labs. In the
Reading and Language Lab, downtime usually occurs in the early morning
(8-9 a.m.) and early afternoon (1:30-3:30 p.m.). These times also show
significant decreases in student traffic for the Math and Writing Labs.
We have adjusted our lab tutor schedules to compensate.

Hope this helps!

Griselda Valerio
Coordinator of Special Projects
Learning Enrichment, N 122 F
80 Fort Brown
Brownsville, TX 78520
Phone: (956) 882-7059
Fax: (956) 882-3857

 P Before printing this e-mail think if it is necessary.   Think Green!