Perhaps you could show in a second panel an analogous teaching network
-- where the links are shared students, and the size represents number
of students taught per year.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Vladimir Tepes wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Thank you for the responses. I am in the process of querying this
> question to my faculty. I am more concerned with two things though:
>
> The first is this; some academics have more publications in the
> faculty than others, and that is to be expected. However, some
> academics have reasons for this; such as the fact that they focus more
> on teaching rather than research, amongst other things. My
> visualisation involves resizing the nodes to reflect the publication
> count, so some people are shown as "bigger" or "smaller" than others.
>
> I was afraid that by showing this data, people would feel they are
> under-represented (or feel that others are over-represented) because
> this data only shows collaborations alone. This might cause trouble
> (animosity towards me, perhaps?).
>
> The second matter; is the behavioural changes of the choice of
> collaborations once this is published. Will the researchers start to
> expand into doing research with people from other "islands" of the
> collaboration topology?
>
> Cheers
>

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Sam Friedman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>  and presumably there should be some form of informed consent. What does the IRB say?
>>  best
>>  sam

>>  Vladimir, one might, of course, ask the faculty themselves about the possible impacts of
>>  publicizing the network visualizations on faculty politics, or any other organizational culture
>>  aspects.
>>
>>  -Bill Anderson
>>
>>  Vladimir Tepes wrote:
>> > *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>> >
>> > Dear Socnet Members,
>> >
>> > I have gotten ahold of a collaboration data between researchers in my
>> > faculty. They have been visualised as a network, and I've set the
>> > attributes of the nodes and the links to reflect the amount of
>> > publications, and the amount of collaborations respectively.
>> >
>> > The question I have is : are there any possible impacts on the
>> > politics of the faculty? Anybody with a similar experience to this?
>> >
>> > Warmest Regards,
>> > Vladimir

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:	(206) 685-3402