Nick:

If you want to convert this bipartite graph (or hypergraph) of people
and groups into a graph relating people to people, then conceptually
what you do is create a new matrix in which two people are connected
if they are both members of at least one group.  (You can optionally
weight this connection according to the size of the groups and the
number of shared groups.)

This is occasionally referred to in the SNA community (IIRC) as
converting a two-mode network into a one-mode network.

Excel is not going to have a macro for this.  :)  There may be
applications that have this as an existing feature; there is at least
one library (JUNG, jung.sourceforge.net) that has a function that does
this sort of conversion.

For what it's worth, this conversion does lose information, unless you
go out of your way to annotate the new network's edges in a way that
indicates the origins (and "support", if you like) of that connection
in the original set of relations.

Joshua

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Nick Geidner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  So maybe I am wasting everyone's time and this may be a dumb question, but I
>  am new to network analysis. I have an excel spreadsheet looking at
>  involvement in groups for a number of people. The Y-axis is people's names
>  and the X-axis is the group, like so:
>
>          Group A    Group B    Group C
>  Tom      1              0             0
>  Jim        0              1             1
>  Sue       1              0             1
>
>  Does anyone know how I can, using a macro or something, rotate this
>  spreadsheet into a relational matrix?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Nick Geidner
>  Doctoral Student
>  The Ohio State University
>  330.402.4902

 joshua.omadadhain@gmail.com...................www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for. -- Bill Watterson