Dear Richard,

If you are fitting distributions, including "power-law" models to
distributions you may also consider the "degreenet" package in R
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/degreenet/). R, in the package, run
under Windows, Mac, LINUX, etc.

It enables likelihood-based inference for skewed count distributions used in
network modeling. It had goodness-of-fit, model selection, and other methods
as described in the references below. "degreenet" is a part of the "statnet"
suite of packages for network analysis (See http://statnetproject.org).

Cheers,

Mark

Some references:

1 Jones JH, Handcock MS (2002a). ³Statistical Evidence Tells Tails of Human
Sexual Contacts.² Working Paper 21, Center for Statistics and the Social
Sciences. URL http://www.csss.washington.edu/Papers.

2 Jones JH, Handcock MS (2002b). ³Epidemic thresholds exist in human sexual
contact networks.² Working Paper 23, Center for Statistics and the Social
Sciences. URL http://www.csss.washington.edu/Papers.

3 Jones JH, Handcock MS (2003a). ³Sexual contacts and epidemic thresholds.²
Nature, 423(6940), 605­606.

4 Handcock MS, Jones JH, Morris M (2003b). ³On ¹Sexual contacts and epidemic
thresholds,¹ models and inference for Sexual partnership distributions.²
Working
Paper 31, Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences. URL
http://www.csss.washington.edu/Papers.

5 Jones JH, Handcock MS (2003c). ³An assessment of preferential attachment
as a mechanism for human sexual network formation.² Proceedings of the Royal
Society of London, B, 270, 1123­1128.

6 Handcock MS, Jones JH (2004). ³Likelihood-Based Inference for Stochastic
Models of Sexual Network Formation.² Theoretical Population Biology, 65,
413­422.

7 Handcock MS, Jones JH (2006). ³Interval estimates for epidemic thresholds
in two-sex network models.² Theoretical Population Biology, 70, 125­134.

8 Hamilton DT, Handcock MS, Morris M (2008). ³Degree distributions in sexual
networks: A framework for evaluating evidence.² Sexually Transmitt