From: Social Networks Discussion Forum on behalf of MARKKU LONKILA (SOSIO)
Sent: Thu 17/04/2008 09:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: German shepherd and social networks

*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org <http://www.insna.org/>   *****

Dear socnetters,

I want to stir the pot of social network definitions with a question
about the notion of `social´ in social networks. Can a five-year-old
German shepherd belong to one´s social network? How about a one-month-
old baby? Compared to the dog, the small baby is clearly much less
communicative and interactive. Moreover, the dog may well be as
central to one´s `social´ life (e.g. though connecting the owner with
other dog owners and dogs) than the network member with human dna...

Markku Lonkila

--
Markku Lonkila
Docent, PhD, Researcher