From: "prlearybellsouth.net" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:35 PM
Subject: [FLBIRDS] Torrent to trickle?

Sometimes it's just as important or insightful to report what is not seen.
Following attendance at the FOS Crystal River meetings, we returned to Old
Town in Dixie County and went birding this morning in seemingly prime
conditions (post front, light drizzle and cool temps) We hiked a portion of
the "rails to trails" paralleling SR 19 that crosses the Suwannee River at
Old Town. A portion of this trail abuts pristine hardwood, bottom lands and
edge habitats. Despite these circumstances, the area was virtually void of
migrants and distressingly absent of resident species. Even the once
ubiquitous trill of the N. Parulas seems to be fading. A hike through the
Suwannee's flood plain produced a mere handful of species. Conversely, in
semi-developed woodlands near the family's residence and a short distance
from the latter habitat, we found a few, newly arrived, Summer Tanagers in
the tall canopy.

Given these circumstances, we can only wonder what should have been seen and
heard and what might have been found in the same region several decades
past? What's feared is that we may be witnessing the bitter consequences of
the widely reported declines in many neo-tropical migrants. What was once a
torrent of migrants may now be headed toward a relative trickle.

Doris and Pat Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County

Listowner:  [log in to unmask]