From: Jeff Bouton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:47 am
Subject: Re: [FLBIRDS] RFI- St. Augustine Area

Hey Brian,

   While I don't have anything to add just yet, the good news is that
this
weekend is St. Augustine's annual birding festival so there should be a
proportionately higher rate of  birding coverage and more reports
coming soon!

   I've only birded my backyard while in town this spring thus far, but
am
looking forward to doing some serious FL birding in St. A this weekend.
I can
say that my Screech Owls and Great Crested Flys, have begun nesting and
investigating (respectively) holes in the dead snags created by
Hurricane
Charlie. My owl box is currently occupied by a flying squirrel, but
fortunately
there is enough cavities to go around as I really enjoy watching the
screech
owls' antics. A pair of Great Horned Owls have also been counter
singing from
the same snags on some recent nights and at least to Chuck-wills-widows
are
calling within earshot as well. While the Red-shouldered and Cooper's
Hawks are
engaging in breeding activities nearby as well (former have fledged
already).

   I've been getting daily visits by Pileated Woodpeckers insuring
future
cavities in the three big snags, but not much in the way of migrants.
Although,
I'm mostly working in the office by day.

  Best,

  Jeff Bouton
  Port Charlotte, FL

Brian Clough <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  All,

I will be visiting family just south of St. Augustine the week after
next. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on local spots in
that
area to catch up with passerine migration, or really anything else of
interest. Please contact me offlist if that would be more appropriate.
Thanks!

cheers,
Brian Clough
bclough84 AT gmail.com
Stillwater, NJ

Member photos II: see connection on photos I
For archives: http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/floridabirds-l.html
Listowner: [log in to unmask]

Listowner:  [log in to unmask]