Hey Brian,

  While I don't have anything to add just yet, the good news is that this weekend is St. Augustine's annual birding festival so there should be a proportionately higher rate of  birding coverage and more reports coming soon!

  I've only birded my backyard while in town this spring thus far, but am looking forward to doing some serious FL birding in St. A this weekend. I can say that my Screech Owls and Great Crested Flys, have begun nesting and investigating (respectively) holes in the dead snags created by Hurricane Charlie. My owl box is currently occupied by a flying squirrel, but fortunately there is enough cavities to go around as I really enjoy watching the screech owls' antics. A pair of Great Horned Owls have also been counter singing from the same snags on some recent nights and at least to Chuck-wills-widows are calling within earshot as well. While the Red-shouldered and Cooper's Hawks are engaging in breeding activities nearby as well (former have fledged already).

  I've been getting daily visits by Pileated Woodpeckers insuring future cavities in the three big snags, but not much in the way of migrants. Although, I'm mostly working in the office by day.

  Best,

  Jeff Bouton
  Port Charlotte, FL

Brian Clough <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  All,

I will be visiting family just south of St. Augustine the week after
next. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on local spots in that
area to catch up with passerine migration, or really anything else of
interest. Please contact me offlist if that would be more appropriate.
Thanks!

cheers,
Brian Clough
bclough84 AT gmail.com
Stillwater, NJ

Member photos II: see connection on photos I
For archives: http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/floridabirds-l.html
Listowner: [log in to unmask]