Sometimes it's just as important or insightful to report what is not seen. Following attendance at the FOS Crystal River meetings, we returned to Old Town in Dixie County and went birding this morning in seemingly prime conditions (post front, light drizzle and cool temps) We hiked a portion of the "rails to trails" paralleling SR 19 that crosses the Suwannee River at Old Town. A portion of this trail abuts pristine hardwood, bottom lands and edge habitats. Despite these circumstances, the area was virtually void of migrants and distressingly absent of resident species. Even the once ubiquitous trill of the N. Parulas seems to be fading. A hike through the Suwannee's flood plain produced a mere handful of species. Conversely, in semi-developed woodlands near the family's residence and a short distance from the latter habitat, we found a few, newly arrived, Summer Tanagers in the tall canopy.

Given these circumstances, we can only wonder what should have been seen and heard and what might have been found in the same region several decades past? What's feared is that we may be witnessing the bitter consequences of the widely reported declines in many neo-tropical migrants. What was once a torrent of migrants may now be headed toward a relative trickle.

Doris and Pat Leary, Fernandina Beach, Nassau County