I hope this interjection by a lurker will be forgiven.

Holly Genser (2008), in her LRNASST-L post of 11 Apr 2008 titled
"Garbled Messages on Listserv" wrote (my CAPS; my insert at ". . .
.[insert]. . . "):

"I usually have some garbled messages on my LRNASST listserv DIGEST.
. . . .[note that pages of code do not generally show up on the
archives <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html>]. .  .
. . . . Many times topics of interest contain all letters that make
no sense for long passages. . . . . . Does anyone know what causes
this nonsense to appear instead of clear text? Does anyone know how
to prevent or stop it?"

Suggestion # 6 of my universally ignored "Fourteen Posting
Suggestions" [Hake (2005a) is:

"6. Avoid sending ATTACHMENTS to lists - they will often appear as
pages of code and may introduce VIRUSES :-( .  Instead, place the
attachment on a web page and give subscribers the URL."

The excellent LRNASST-L "User Guide" at
<http://www.teachingcenter.ufl.edu/lrnasst.html> is more equivocal
(my CAPS):

"Avoid unnecessary email backgrounds, pictures, icons, and other
attachments: Distracting graphics and backgrounds intended to make
your email attractive are also likely to irritate other users due to
the extra file size and problems associated with these items.
Similarly, ATTACHMENTS THAT ARE VERY LARGE, SAVED IN A HARD TO USE
FORMAT, OR OTHERWISE NOT RELATED TO THE TOPIC AT HAND SHOULD NOT BE
SENT.  If you wish to send a large attachment (e.g., one megabyte or
larger), it is better to link to the file (if it is online or can be
put there), compress the file, or let others know how to contact you
personally to obtain the file in a private email."

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of  Deventer, The Netherlands.
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>

"Rules and models destroy genius and art"
     William Hazlitt (1778-1830), "On Taste"

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Genser, H. 2008. "Garbled Messages on Listserv," LRNASST-L post of
11 Apr 2008 12:54:13-0400; online at
<http://www.lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0804&L=lrnasst-l&P=12393>,
or more compactly <http://tinyurl.com/57dfdb>.

Hake, R.R. 2005a. "Fourteen Posting Suggestions," online at
<http://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0507&L=pod&P=R12861&I=-3>. Post
of 23 Jul 2005 11:38:29-0400 to AERA-C, AERA-G, AERA-GSL, AERA-H,
AERA-I, AERA-J, AERA-K, AERA-L, ASSESS, EvalTalk, Math-Learn,
PhysLrnR, POD, STLHE-L, TeachingEdPsych, and TIPS. For a guide to
discussion lists see Hake (2007).  For a defense of cross-posting see
Hake (2005b).

Hake, R.R. 2005b. "Cross-Posting - Synergistic or Sinful?" Post of 1
Nov 2005 08:37:12-0800 to ITFORUM and AERA-L,  online at at
<http://tinyurl.com/2m59v4>.

Hake, R.R. 2007 "Over Sixty Academic Discussion Lists: List Addresses
and URL's for Archives & Search Engines," online at
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/ADL-L.pdf>
(640 kB), or as ref. 49 at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>.