Hello Sonya,

At Hillyer College, a 500-student two-year college within a 6,000-student
University, we pay our tutors $8.20/hour, an amount set by the University.
Tutors are sophomores, juniors, or seniors who have been through our
Associate degree program and remained in the University.  They must have a
faculty recommendation, have earned a B+ or better in the courses they will
tutor, and be on Dean's List.  Each semester we set their schedule based on
open hours in our Center and their free hours.  Tutors work 4-7 hours a
week.  They are paid whether students drop in for tutoring or not.

We also have a Preceptor program in our advising classes.  A Preceptor is a
junior or senior who regularly atttends a freshman class with a group of
students who are all advisees of the professor of that course.  The
Preceptor is a former student of that professor.  The Preceptor can then
help students with the advising and registration process as well as with the
course.  Preceptors are paid $500 for the semester.  They are chosen by the
instructor of the course.

I hope that this information is useful to you as you set up your peer
mentoring program.  Good luck!

Barbara

Barbara Dean Wolfe
Chair, Department of Academic Strategies
Director, Academic Strategies Center
Hillyer College, University of Hartford
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117