Sonya,

I will be using mentors for the orientation I have for our conditionally admitted students (STAR students). Here is the description on the application...

" You will use your experiences as a student at Aurora University to help me plan new activities and programs that will benefit the incoming STAR students. You will serve as a guide, leader, and role model for these new students and let them learn from your experience as a student at Aurora University . You will help the new STAR students see that being a STAR student means that they will receive additional support and encouragement through the STAR Program so they can succeed at Aurora University . "

The mentors will be paid a stipend of $250 dollars to help with the orientation. Their primary role is to develop and facilitate evening programming during the orientation in addition to a few activities during the day. I will also call upon them to help me with an evening program I will be hosting in the spring for the STAR students to touch base with them before the spring semester get too crazy. They will also be asked to serve as a contact for these students during the semester if the student have questions about anything.

I have attached the application I use and the interview questions I developed for the interviews I am currently doing for this next year's mentors.

Let me know if you have questions.

PS Another colleague in my office coordinates our Peer Advisors, who help out at our summer orientations and are assigned to a class in fall that has all freshman. The Peer Advisor's role is to stay connected to the new freshman, inviting them to activities to help the students be connected to the campus and campus life. I believe the Peer Advisors receive a $1000 stipend for their work. I had a Peer Advisor assigned to a career course I taught last fall. I relied on the advisor to remind students (and myself) about campus activities taking place. I also had the advisor help me plan some class activities with me. She came up with the idea to have a Jeopardy! review at the end of the class. She came up with the questions and served as "Alex" asking the questions. The students responded well to the activity.

Travis Ramage
Academic Advisor / STAR Program Coordinator
Aurora University
347 Gladstone Avenue
Aurora, IL 60506
PH: 630-844-5141