I am preparing a presentation entitled "Being Undeclared May Be the Best Choice of a Major for Some Students" for the 2008 NACADA Conference. Your input by answering the following questions would be greatly appreciated. I know we could debate these issues in great detail, but your concise answers will keep from clogging the listserv.  Or, you may respond to me directly.

1.   What percentage of students enter your institution without a declared major?

2.   What percentage of students at your institution who have declared  a major change their major at least once before graduating?

3.   At what point does your institution require a student to declare a major?

4.   At your institution are undeclared students offered any special services to assist them in selecting a major?

5.   From your perspective, what are the benefits in allowing students to enter the institution without a declared major?

6.   From your perspective, what are the dangers in allowing students to enter the institution without a declared major?

7.   From your understanding of your students, are incoming freshmen at the developmental stage (physical, mental, emotional, social, decision-making) to be ready to make a choice such as what to major in or what they want to be for the rest of their lives?

8.   Being Undeclared May Be the Best Choice of a Major for Some Students - agree or disagree?

Stephen O. Wallace, Ph.D.
Coordinator Developmental Education and Advising Development
Shippensburg University
114 Horton Hall
(717) 477-1627