From: Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 7:48 am
Subject: From JAMOS

Local School-to-College Reports Detail Student Performance After High
chool
MALDEN - The state's public high schools have received the first-ever
eports detailing the performance of graduates attending a
assachusetts public college or university.
Individual "School-to-College" reports for 297 high schools were
istributed last week, providing details on how graduates from the
lass of 2005 fared in college, whether they needed remediation when
hey got there and whether they re-enrolled for a second year.
The report contains information on students who graduated from a
assachusetts public high school in spring 2005 and enrolled in a
assachusetts public postsecondary institution in fall 2005. Students
ho chose to enter the military, not enroll in college, attend college
ut of state, or attend a private institution in Massachusetts are not
epresented.
"These reports will be critical as we move toward our goal of better
ligning the work of our secondary schools with that of our colleges,"
aid Paul Reville, chairman of the Board of Elementary and Secondary
ducation and Secretary of Education designate. "This information
hould prompt our secondary schools to re-evaluate whether they are
roperly preparing their graduates for college."
Acting Education Commissioner Jeffrey Nellhaus agreed.
"This is data we've never had before, and will be vitally important as
e move into this next phase of Education Reform," he said. "Our
raduates should enter college well prepared, not in need of remedial
elp. These local reports will give our schools the information they
eed to make sure this trend does not continue."
"Now more than ever, postsecondary education and training is a
ecessity in today's new economy. Even entry-level positions demand
ver-increasing levels of skill and knowledge," said Patricia F.
lummer, Commissioner of the Department of Higher Education. "The
chool-to-College project will help educators and policy makers develop
ound policies and practices for increased college readiness for all
tudents."
Data for the School-to-College reports was drawn from a new database
hat links public K’Äì12 and higher education data, and is a joint
nitiative of the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and
he Department of Higher Education.
According to the statewide School-to-College report, which was released
n February, more than 19,000 students (33 percent) of the class of
005 chose to enroll in a state public postsecondary institution in
all 2005, comprising the fall 2005 School-to-College cohort. Of these
tudents, 45 percent enrolled at a community college, 25 percent
nrolled at a state college, and 30 percent enrolled at one of the
niversity of Massachusetts campuses.
According to the state report:
Among public high school graduates in the class of 2005 who attended a
ublic college or university in Massachusetts, 37 percent enrolled in
t least one developmental (remedial) course in their first semester in
ollege.
Of students enrolled at community colleges, 65 percent of students
nrolled in a community college took at least one developmental course,
s did 22 percent of students at state colleges and 8 percent of
tudents at state university campuses.
Fifty percent of students who scored in needs improvement on the Grade
0 Math MCAS exam enrolled in developmental math in college.
ore than 80 percent of first-time, full-time degree seeking students
eenrolled for a second year of college in fall 2006.
The class of 2006 reports will be released later this year. Future
eports will be released each spring, approximately two years after
ach cohort's high school graduation.
The statewide report is posted online at
ww.doe.mass.edu/research/reports/0208bhe.doc.
 Local school reports can
e found at www.doe.mass.edu/research/reports/s2c.html.
Norman A. Stahl, Ph.D.
rofessor and Chair