Hi!

(appologies for my english), but, I'm wondering that some (verry good)
books about Web 2.0 and social networking on the Internet are
published exclusively on paper and are not yet available for download.

I think it would be good also available in digital editions, open and
free ones, isn't it?

Thanks!
Mariangela

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Gerry Mckiernan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Colleagues/
>
> A Most Intriguing New Book On ELGG, The Open-Source Social Web application.
>
> /Gerry
>
> _Elgg Social Networking_
> Elgg is an open-source social web application licensed under GPL version 2, and runs on the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) or WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) platform. It offers a networking platform combining elements of blogging, e-portfolios, news feed aggregation, file sharing, and social networking. Elgg has its own plug-in architecture, and can use plug-ins to provide a calendar and a wiki. It supports a number of open standards including RSS, LDAP for authentication, FOAF, and XML-RPC for integration with most third-party blogging clients. It can be integrated with MediaWiki, Moodle, Drupal, and WebCT
>
> [snip]
>
> While anybody can use Elgg to create their social network, it is especially useful in education as it has many features making it suitable for e-learning, including groups, communities, and blogs that can be used for online classes where students can communicate in a new way with each other and with students around the world-in a managed, protected environment, creating what its authors term a "personal learning landscape". This book also covers using Elgg in teaching/learning.
>
> Table of Contents
> Preface
> Chapter 1: Social Networks and Elgg
> Chapter 2: A Tour around Elgg
> Chapter 3: Users, Profiles, and Connections
> Chapter 4: Blogging and Resources
> Chapter 5: Communities and Files
> Chapter 6: Customizing Elgg
> Chapter 7: Elgg Plug-Ins
> Appendix A: Installing Elgg
> Appendix B: Elgg Case Study
>
> {MORE}
>
> For Links to the Detailed TOC and More, Please Visit
>
> [ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/05/elgg-social-networking.html ]
>
> Enjoy!
>
> /Gerry
>
> Gerry McKiernan
> Associate Professor
> Science and Technology Librarian
> Iowa State University Library
> Ames IA 50011

> There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come
> Victor Hugo
> [ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]
>
> Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
> [ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]

"El verdadero viaje es siempre un "no sé" y luego algo sucede, quizá
lo que no esperas" John Berger

Siempre emerge la vida, siempre del mejor modo posible

Mariangela (http://laspalabras.wordpress.com/)

http://vineparapreguntar.wordpress.com
http://policynetworks.wordpress.com/
http://spicyspiralia.wordpress.com/