Our college has had a split model along with four separate tutoring
programs in different areas of the campus for nearly 20 years. A couple
years ago when the whole campus was going through a re-organization, one
of the changes made was putting all "Tutoring Services" under the
administration of one division (Library, Technology, and eLearning).
The physical locations and directorship of the four main tutoring
programs didn't change, but the dean for three of them did change

It was quickly obvious that the "re-structuring" on paper wasn't a
practical or efficient change in real life because all four programs
were already well established, operated under different budgets, and
were directed by people in different kinds of positions (faculty and
classified staff).  But of those three characteristics, the one that
made the change least likely to be successful was the fact of the four
separate budgets--one from the Science division, one from the Library
division, one from Carl Perkins grant, and one from Student Government.
Now we're back to the former way.

I think that ideally tutoring services should be under one reporting
structure with one budget to which all divisions contribute. What makes
it difficult is when people must decide if tutoring should be part of
"academic" services, "student" services, "special" services, or whatever
other kind of service it is.  Really, we know it supports all of those
areas and more; that's why it's so difficult to figure out all the
organizational issues.

Grace Rhodes
The Writing & Learning Studio
Shoreline Community College