Dan, If "networks" mean communication, sure.

And now that it is in the Wall Street Journal, it's "official". ;-)

But the cave dwellers around the campfire sound like my metaphor of
"little boxes". that is, a bounded group.

Was there permeability; clustering; partial networks; etc. -- or just an
undifferentiated group?

Probably the former.

Perhaps the WSJ needs to read Nancy Howell's _Demography of the Dobe
!Kung_ (Bushmen) -- which is sometimes used as a rough analog to
prehistoric groups and Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear book series ;-)

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963
  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
         Elvis wouldn't be singing "Return to Sender" these days
            **** PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS AND FAX NUMBER ****