Dear Ron:
Enclosed is a patch, extremely partial, not updated list, mainly for
novices:
Also, your student can search under market in
http://www.insna.org/INSNA/bigbib_inf.html
I hope this helps.

Granovetter, Mark (1985), "Economic Action and Social Structure :The
Problem of Embeddedness", AJS 91: 481-510. Also reprinted in Granovetter
, Mark and Richard Swednerg (Eds.), The Sociology of Economic Life,
Boulder,  Co., 1992: pp. 53-81.  (Also reprint in the Library)

Geertz, Cliford, (1978) "The Bazaar Economy: information and Search in
Peasant Marketing", in American Economic Review 68 (SUPPLEMENT), May:
28-32.   OR: his "Suq: The  Bazaar Economy in Sefrou", pp. 123-313 in
Meaning and Order in Moroccan Society (C. Geertz and L. Rosen, Eds.),
New York, Cambridge University Press, 1979.

Burt, R. S. (1992), "The Social Structure of the Competition", Pp. 57-91
in Networks and Organizations, edited by N. Nohria and R. Eccles,
Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Podolny, J,. (1993),  "A Status-Based Model of Market Competition"
American Journal of Sociology 98: 829-872.

Podolny , J. (1994), "Market Uncertainty and Social Character of
Economic Exchange" Administrative Science Quarterly 39: 458-483.

 Uzzi, B. (1997), "Social Structure and Competition in Interfirm
Networks: The Paradox  of Embeddedness", Administrative Science
Quarterly  42: 35-67.

Uzzi, B. (1996), "The Sources and Consequences of Embeddedness for the
Economic Performance of Organizations: The Network Effect" American
Sociological Review 61 (4) : 674-698.

Jones, C., W. Hesterly and S. Bogartti (1997), "A General Theory of
Network Governance: Exchange Conditions and Social Mechanisms", Academy
of Management Review 22 (4): 911-945.

Mizruchi, M.S. and J. Galaskiewicz (1994), "Networks of
Interorganizational Relations"  in Advances in Social Network Analysis,
edited by S. Wasserman and J. Galaskiewicz, Sage, pp. 230-253.

Burt, R.S. and I. Talmud (1993), "Market Niche"  Social Networks 15:
133-149 .

Talmud, I. (1994) "Relations and Profits: Imperfect Competition and Its
Outcome", Social Science Research, 23: 109-135.

Gulati, R. (1995), "Does Familiarity Breed Trust ? The Implications of
Repeated Ties for Contractual Choices in Alliances"  Academy of
Management Journal 38: 85-112.

Ahuja, G. 2000. The Duality of Collaboration: Inducements and
Opportunities in the Formation of Interfirm Linkages. Strategic
Management Journal 21: 317-344.

Baker, Wayne E. (1984). "The social structure of a national securities
market," American Journal of Sociology 89, 775-811.

--------------- (1990). "Market Networks and Corporate Behavior,"
American Journal of Sociology 96, 589-625.

Baker W. and Faulkner, R. (1993). "The social organization of conspiracy
in the heavy electrical equipment industry," American Sociological
Review 58, 837-860.

Powell, W. (1990), "Neither Market nor Hierarchy: Network Forms of
Organizations", Research in Organizational Behavior, Volume 12: 879-909.

Ghoshal, S. and P., Moran (1996), "Bad for Practice: A Critique of the
Transaction cost Theory", Academy of Management Review 21(1): 13-47.

Van Alstyne, M. (1997), "The State of Network Organization: A Survey of
Three Frameworks" Journal of Organizational Computing 7 (3).

Walker, Gordon, and David Weber (1984), "A Transaction-Cost Approach to
the Make-or-Buy Decision" Administrative Science Quarterly 29: 373-391

Eccels, Robert and Harrison C. White (1988), "Price and Authority in
Inter- Profit Centers Transactions", American Journal of Sociology
(Special Supplementary Issues on Institutions and Organizations).

Kogut, B., W. Shan and G. Walker (1992), "The Make-or-Cooperate Decision
in the Context of an Industry Network", Pp. 348-365  in Networks and
Organizations, edited by N. Nohria and R. Eccles, Boston: Harvard
Business School Press

Ilan Talmud and Gustavo S. Mesh (1997), "Market Organization and
Corporate Instability: The Ecology of Inter-Industrial Networks", Social
Science Research 26: 419-441.[Re-printed in Work and Organizations in
Israel (2004), I. Harpaz and I. Samuel (eds.), Transaction Books]

Gulati, R., Nohria, N. & A. Zaheer. 2000. Strategic Networks. Strategic
Management Journal 21: 203-215.

Palmer, D. et al (1995), "The Friendly and the Predatory Acquisition of
Large US Corporations in the 1960's: The Other Contested Terrain"
Administrative Science Quarterly 60: 469-499.

Romo, F. and M. Schwartz (1995), "The Structural Embeddedness of
Business Decisions:  The Migration of Manufacturing Plants in New York
State, 1960-1985", American Sociological Review 60 (6) : 874-907

Larson, A. (1992), "Network Dyads in Entrepreneurial Settings: A Study
of the Governance of Exchange Relations", ASQ 37: 76-10

Pennings, J.M., Lee, K., van Witteloostuyn, A. 1998. Human Social
Capital, Social Capital, and Firm Dissolution. Academy of Management
Journal, 13: 29-46.

????? Ronald E. Rice:

> Hi folks...
> I seem to remember someone collecting a good set of
> citations/references to the general area of markets and networks in
> the dim past.  I know this is a very broad area, and I don't want to
> ask anyone to recreate the wheel, but if anyone has an
> already-collected set of such references, that would be much
> appreciated.  This is for a doctoral student.
> Thanks!
> Ronald E. Rice
> Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
> Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television, and New Media
> President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
> Dept. of  Communication, 4840 Ellison Hall
> University of California
> Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
> Ph: 805-893-8696; Fax: 805-893-7102
> http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/rice_flash.htm
> http://www.cftnm.ucsb.edu/

Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Haifa
Phones: 972-4-8240992 (office direct)
972-4-8240995 / 8249505 (secretaries)
(cell) 972-522-220914