Top of the list for me (for popular books on how social networking can
help you) is Wayne Baker's "Achieving Success Through Social Capital."
Baker is a serious academic who's written a useful book based on sound
social network and social capital theory.

/Andrew

On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Erika Hanson Brown wrote:

> Hi, all...
>

> I've been a watchful lurker here for awhile, and I'm delighted with
> the
> exchange that has been going on here.  You all amaze me with your
> knowledge
> and analyses of this phenomenon known in all its permutations:
> "networking,
> social networking, wasting time, quantity-not-quality" , etc.....
>

> I'm a professional networker and entrepreneur; eg, I'm a longtime
> executive
> search pro/"headhunter", and my own skills have been honed over the
> course
> of almost 3 full decades.  I started utilizing my skills- in fact -
> before
> people called "it" networking.  (My own great-grandmother was asked
> to speak
> at the Chicago World's Fair - the Women's Pavillion - in 1890.  Her
> topic?
> Networking.)
>

> It's worked very well for me.  I'm so far "gone" that I get kudos
> for being
> a "connector" - whatever that means.
>

> I'm (hopefully) about to spend a good part of the summer in
> Hydrabad, India
> - instructing, coaching, mentoring a bunch of "raw", Indian IT
> recruiters
> with the in's and out's of my fine profession.
>

> In fact, what I'll be teaching them will be the fine skills of
> relationship
> building....all of which results in their being good "community
> builders"
> and/or "network builders".
>

> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for simple (non-academic)
> books to
> take along with me.
>

> The four concepts I teach are (simplistically):
>
> 1.        social capital theory and relevance
>
> 2.       network analysis and management
>
> 3.       value proposition for "brand you"
>
> 4.       steps to take for relationship building
>

> The question: are there any suggestions for books that you would
> make on any
> or all of these essential topics?
>

> Thanks much for your help and ideas on this..and please keep up your
> conversation!  Your studies are fascinating to me.
>

> Erika Hanson Brown, ConnectoringR Facilitator and Your Host
>
> STELLARBIZT and STELLARBIZWOMANTGlobal RoundTables
>
> Created by Stellar Connections LLC
>
> Denver, CO USA
>
> 303.780.9111
>
> skype contact: "erika.hanson.brown"
>
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
>
> <http://www.stellarbiz.com> www.stellarbiz.com
>

> "Leadership requires getting people to follow you - and that demands
> an
> awareness of and focus on those you're leading, a commitment to
> building
> their trust, and delivering a vision that inspires.."
>

> To be taken off of this private email list for any reason, just hit
> reply
> [...]

Andrew Thomas, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for the Study of Educational Entrepreneurship (ISEE)
UCLA