Hello everyone,

First, let me send out a warm thank you to the 200 or so people who
came to the Networks in Political Science (NIPS) conference at Harvard
University and who helped make it possible.  I was truly amazed at the
range of political topics that are already being addressed using
network theory, and I feel like I learned *a lot*.

In the business meeting at the end of the conference there was a
consensus that we should keep up the momentum by starting an
organization with two goals:

1) To promote the use of network methods by people who study political
phenomena
2) To promote the study of political phenomena by people who use
network methods

Our group will be called "Political Networks" and David Lazer and I
were drafted to be co-chairs for this year.  Our immediate task is to
compile feedback on this year's conference, so we can have another
conference next year.  We will once again be applying for support from
NSF, and we will also be organizing an APSA section.

To facilitate communication and an exchange of ideas, we have set up
POLNET-L, a moderated listserve focusing on issues related to networks
and the study of politics.  Please feel free to post questions or
ideas about network methodology, updates about new research and
publications, links to articles and webpages, news about sources of
network data, or any other information that might be relevant to a
group of scholars who is interested in applying network methodology to
the study of politics.

To subscribe to the listserv, send an email to [log in to unmask] with
the following text in the body of the message:

SUB POLNET-L <your first name> <your last name>

If you have questions, email the POLNET-L Moderator, Scott McClurg at [log in to unmask]
  (thanks to Scott for volunteering to be the POLNET-L moderator!).

Best,
james

James H. Fowler
http://jhfowler.ucsd.edu