Hi Justin,

there are several recent papers on this broad topic. For instance, the
special issue of JCMC of last fall editored by Nicole Ellison and danah boyd
was about social network sites. Maybe also my paper at the upcoming ECIS on
this topic is helpful for you. (Schaefer, C. 2008. Motivations and usage
patterns on social network sites. 16th European Conference on Information
Systems (ECIS)).

It may be helpful to be a bit more specific about which direction or angle
you are looking for to provide further pointers.

Best,
Cora

----
Dipl.-Psych. Cora Schaefer
Informationsdienste und elektronische Märkte
Fakultät für Wirtschaftwissenschaften
Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
D - 76128 Karlsruhe

Gebäude 20.20 RZ (Raum 152), Zirkel 2